Now, I don't like getting political on my blog, so I'm going to preface this with fact that A) we all have opinions, and mine NOR YOURS may always be correct, and B) this is MY BLOG so I could give a fuck what anyone else thinks.
That being said, I'd like to take a moment and say that, yes, I voted for Barrack Obama. So whether or not you're a fan of him and his policies, that is what I did and I do not regret it.
I thought the man had great ideas. I know; most politicians seem to have great ideas. They're politicians, and I recognize this. I also realize that I live in a red state (which turned a bright shade of blue this past election), and that a LOT of people here disagree with his policies. They say that he's a socialist, that he's intruding upon our constitutional rights, etcetera etcetera.
Calling the president of our country names and slurs because you don't like him (for whatever reason) will not change the fact that he's the president of our country. Right now, your opinion of him doesn't matter, because at the end of the night, he still occupies that office.
I'd also like to make a point to mention that, while I did vote for him, I absolutely abhor the fact that many people voted for him because he's black. The racial background of the candidate shouldn't matter; if you believe in his/her ideas, then vote for that person. However, the fact that many people did NOT vote for him because he's black is also disheartening. Everyone who based their vote upon the color of his skin disgusts me, as a human being.
Jumping back to the topic at hand- Health Care. This country has fought a long, hard battle over this issue. The fact that millions of Americans are uninsured, that millions get turned away because of "pre-existing conditions", the fact that people are DYING because they cannot afford the medicines they need to keep them alive has taken its toll on everyone. Something needed to be done. It's sad that we're one of the richest countries in the world (if not THE richest country), and there are still millions left without health insurance. It really is.
But our country is in the midst of another crisis altogether. I'm sure we all know the details of our economy, and if you don't, you could figure it out. Really.
Obama had a very good idea. His motives were truly good. As the leader of the free world, he wanted the people occupying that world to have access to the medications and medical procedures they need, or will need in the future. The heart was in it. How he went about this plan, I do not entirely agree with. Right now, we have a lot more on our plate, as Americans, and this reform could have waited. Stabilizing the economy should be our NUMBER ONE goal. Again, the idea is great. But the timing and the execution was not. I feel that right now, we're not in a place to make these decisions, as they will not be as beneficial as they could be in, say, 2012, or 2014. The country went into a state of uproar when the bill was passed. You noticed it. I noticed it. People either love it or they hate it. And when they hate it, they HATE IT. These were very dangerous waters to tread. But the government has spoken, and it has passed.
There are many, many great things that can come from this. People all around the country do not have to fear that they'll be rejected by ann insurance company because they are already sick. If you're sick and need to go to the hospital, you can go, instead of considering whether or not you can afford a doctor's visit. This will help a lot of people. It really will.
However, there are quite a few negatives. Taxes, for one. Taxes will increase. Exponentially, I'm assuming. Canada has a similar plan and, while here in the states we pay 5, 6, 7 percent in taxes, they pay 11, 12, 14 percent. Don't let me be mistaken, we will pay for this. And it's mandatory. This has caused quite an outrage, as many are comparing this, again, to Socialism. If you do not have the healthcare, you will be fined. That's that. And I understand why so many people would be frustrated with our government concerning this policy. It does appear to impede upon our constitutional rights, because we live in a democratic country. For the people, by the people. As I've heard people say, "this isn't FOR the people, it's DESPITE the people."
And that may be true. But you have to look at this from all aspects. This is something people have wanted for a very long time. This is something that's been promised to us for a very long time. The same people complaining about the cost of their medicines are now frustrated by this new reform. I feel that everyone needs to know that EITHER WE DO OR WE DON'T, THERE IS NO INBETWEEN. We cannot have our cake and eat it too. Yes, our country prides itself on the the "for the people, by the people" belief. But our government is there to regulate. Our government is there to keep order. At some point, they felt it necessary to step in. THE PEOPLE YOU VOTED FOR FELT IT NECESSARY TO STEP IN AND FIGURE OUT A SOLUTION. I think a lot of people have a very disillutioned idea of what a democracy is. As a people, there are a lot of us. We cannot vote on every little thing as a country. So we CHOOSE SOMEONE TO BEST REPRESENT US IN MAKING THESE DECISIONS. NOT EVERYONE WILL BE HAPPY BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE WILL VOTE FOR THE SAME PERSON. NOT EVERYONE WILL BE HAPPY WITH EVERY DECISION THAT THE PERSON(S) WE ELECT WILL MAKE. And that is a simple fact that everyone has to accept.
Again, I should stress that I am not a fan of THIS reform, but I am a fan of the idea behind it. Because in three years, I lose the healthcare that the military provides for me because of my father.
That is a very scary thought.
Putting an idea into motion takes some time, though, and I don't believe that we've had enough to sit down and really think about what we want. I think that the American people should have been a lot more involved in a decision like this.
But also, because we are a democracy, we have the power to change this if we do not like it.
So I'm gonna wrap this up before it become a book. All in all, I think the health reform is a good idea, it wasn't executed correctly, I'm a little miffed about that, I hope this brings about good changes in our country, and everyone really needs to stop bitching about it because it already happened, and if it doesn't work, there's always next time.
I'm pretty sure I forgot some important things in this, but the light from my computer is giving me a headache so I'll edit it later.
Peace, y'all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment